Deadline: open until the 10th of March 2016
Scholarship value: a monthly stipend of $1,000 USD
Description of 2016 School of Data Fellowship
School of Data for data-literacy practitioners or enthusiasts invites applicants to take part in fellowship programme. It aims to recruit and train the next generation of data leaders and trainers to magnify the reach of our data literacy programme. The fellows will provide training and ongoing support to journalists, civil society organisations, and individual change-makers to use data effectively within their community and country. We are looking for applicants who already have connections to a network of data-literacy enthusiasts, or have some link with a particular organisation working in this field.
We recruit fellows on an annual basis, and provide them with data and leadership training as well as coaching to organise events and build their community. Our fellows are part of a growing global network of School of Data practitioners, benefiting from the network effects of sharing resources and knowledge and contributing to our understanding of how best to localise our training efforts.
Duration: 9 months, from April to December 2016
Target group: any nationality
- Be the key contact person for data-related questions in a given area (regional or thematic)
- Develop and maintain mentoring relationships with specific organization(s) offering concrete ongoing and demand-driven support
- Organize and lead School of Data events for specific communities or organisations (e.g. data expeditions and data clinics)
- Organise custom trainings for local initiatives or organisations
- Offer constructive feedback for learners on projects (often in the local language)
- Be an active member of a School of Data language community including blogging, tweeting, writing to the mailing list, and answering questions on the Q&A site
- Help reviewing, creating, translating, and localizing materials
- Collaborate with and support other School of Data fellows and organizations, including support in the local language and beyond
Our ideal candidate combines the following skills:
- Data savvy: has experience working with data and a passion for teaching data skills.
- Understands the role of Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) and media in bringing positive change through advocacy, campaigns, and storytelling. Fellows are passionate about enabling partners to use data effectively through training and ongoing support.
- Interested or experienced in working with journalism and/or civil society.
- Has some facilitation skills and enjoys community-building (both online and offline).
- Eager to learn from and be connected with an international community of data enthusiasts.
The purpose of the School of Data Fellowship programme is to build capacity among NGOs and journalists. The fellowship programme is therefore not currently offered to government employees.
To apply, you will have to fill our application form and attach your CV. The form is available at this link.