Deadline: 30 June 2016
Duration: 6 months – September 2016-February 2017
Open Society Foundations Global Dialogues project offers to conduct the research to support the development of the milieu of academics and researchers in the field of humanities and social sciences with special attention paid to the liberal arts education, as well as those who work interdisciplinarily between arts and sciences.
During their stay in Poland they will be able, on the one hand, to familiarize themselves with the Polish experience (especially in the higher education system and in the advantages of the interdisciplinary approach to research, learn and study), on the other hand, work on and discuss their own projects. They will be able to share and popularize the effects of their work after return to their native countries: the best results in the work might be reached via “small steps”.
FIAL was founded in 1997 in order to cooperate with reform-oriented academic institutions in Poland and Eastern Europe and to support activities which are aimed at fostering new possibilities for collaboration in the region. Since its beginnings, FIAL has been collaborating closely with the University of Warsaw (Faculty of “Artes Liberales”) in such a field. Together with the Faculty of “Artes Liberales” FIAL has been running an educational program: the International School in the Humanities – MSH (previously: East-European School in the Humanities) for young researchers for the region of Eastern Europe (the Asian part of the Russian Federation included). Together with the Faculty of “Artes Liberales” of the University of Warsaw, FIAL has been running a curriculum in artes liberales, unique in Poland and one of the very few in Eastern Europe. Our joint initiative (FIAL and Faculty of “Artes Liberales”) has also been running a specific experimental PhD curriculum in which students from the Eurasia region play a leading role (including Asiatic, i.e. Siberian, parts of the Russian Federation).
Eligible for application are scholars from Belarus, Moldova, Russia, Ukraine holding doctoral degree (or equivalent e.g. kandydat nauk) .
Each fellow will receive monthly allowance of $2000 to cover the costs of stay in Warsaw including accommodation.
- application form (personal data filled online).
- letter of motivation (please indicate how your fellowship will benefit for your current activity. Max. 2 pages. TNR not less than 12, interval not less than 1,5)
- description of the project (please indicate precisely what do you want to research during the fellowship. Max. 4 pages. TNR not less than 12, interval not less than 1,5)
- CV with the list of publications.
- Writing Sample (please send us max. two of your papers, preferably in English. We accept also papers in Belarusian, Polish, Russian, and Ukrainian. If your papers were prepared in other languages than indicated above, please provide us with texts in your own English translation).
- Copy of the PhD Diploma or equivalent (copy of the original and notarized copy of the official translation into English, issued by sworn translator)
- 2 letters of recommendation (electronic version must be send directly by your reference to foundation’s e-mail, given below).
All application documents must be written in English. Important: your files should be named according to following templates:
The format of the electronic version of the documents is pdf. Hard copy of the documents send by post is also required. All the documents must be send not later than June 30, 2016. Please, send the documents to the following addresses:
E-copy: [email protected].
Hard copy: postal address: Fundacja “Instytut Artes Liberales”, ul. Jaracza 10, lok. 28, 00-378 Warszawa, Poland
register HERE to apply online
Candidates, selected from the application stage will be invited for an interview (through video conferencing). Finally, four individuals will be selected for the fellowship. Successful candidates will be notified until the end of July 2016. The decision of the selection committee is final and indisputable.
Contact person: Olha Tkachenko, coordinator of the project [email protected].
Please visit the official webpage.