Deadline: 16 May 2016
The Volkswagen Foundation and the Erasmus+ are funding PhD programme in political science, contemporary history or economics on a topic related to the programme’s thematic focus at a university or academy of sciences in the Southern Caucasus or the wider Central Asia (including Afghanistan, the Kashmir region in India, and the autonomous region Xinjiang in China). The programme provides intensive PhD research training to coach its participants in international academic standards and help them to establish their own networks with other young researchers.
*300 Euro per month for three years;
*travel grant of up to 500 Euro for field research
· four international conferences in Almaty, Berlin, Yerevan, and Bishkek;
· three PhD schools in Berlin, Yerevan, and Istanbul;
· one research training stay of three weeks for individual training, supervision and research in Berlin;
· mentoring by postdoctoral researchers for three years;
· continuous online coaching including courses on methodology in political science, economics and contemporary history.
– filled in application form (pdf for download) ;
– Curriculum Vitae (Europass welcome, available here);
– copies of all academic certificates obtained (original and translation into English);
– outline of the doctoral thesis in English (3,000 – 5,000 characters) including research question(s) and method(s);
– preliminary table of contents of the doctoral thesis in English;
– list of literature for the doctoral project;
– time schedule for the doctoral project until its completion, indicating its current state;
– enrolment certificate as a doctoral student of an institution in a target country (original and translation into English);
– letter of support of the doctoral supervisor;
– letter of reference (not from supervisor);
– previous academic work in English (seminar paper, essay, or equivalent);
– scan of passport or ID card;
– English language test certificates are welcome but not compulsory.
– June 2016: Skype-based interviews
– June-August 2016: Travel arrangements (and visa application if necessary) for applicants invited to the selection conference
– End of August 2016: Selection conference in Almaty
Please send your complete application via E-Mail to [email protected] The application should be a single PDF file, not exceeding 10 MB.